Sunday, January 11, 2009

January 2008 Interview with Leticia Ordaz


Name: Leticia Ordaz
Hometown: Galt, Ca
Height: 5'3"
Birthday: March 14th

1. Leticia, what interested you in becoming a TV Journalist?
Ever since I was old enough to talk I would ask my mom and dad questions about every subject. I was always a curious child in search of answers. I enjoyed watching the news and learning about political events. My family says they knew journalism was my calling since I was about two.

2. If you weren't working in this industry, what would you be doing today?
This is the career of my dreams. I really can't imagine choosing a different path.

3. What was one of your most embarrassing moment's on air?
Luckily, it wasn't live TV, but I remember doing a stand-up with a big boa constrictor at the Fresno County Fair. It wrapped itself around me so tight, I could barely breathe. Luckily, its trainer was right next to us and helped me get free. I'm so glad it wasn't Live TV.

4. What's a memorable story you were covering in your broadcasting career and why?
The Scott Peterson murder trial is by far the most memorable story I've covered in my career. It's a story that captivated people everywhere, and attracted media from not just the nation, but the world. Working for KCRA 3, we were able to bring our viewers the best coverage from the search for Laci Peterson, to the verdict, and the sentencing phase.

5. What type of music do you like? Any artisit's people in particular?
I like all types of music. Some of my favorite artist's are Gwen Stefani, Pink, Nelly Furtado, and One Republic.

6. What is your favorite restaurant in Sacramento?
I can't choose just one. I love Sushi Cafe, and Zocolo, and Bistro 33.

7. What do you enjoy to do on your own time when not at work?
I enjoy spending time with my husband, and my family and friends when I'm not at work.
I also love to travel to Cabo San Lucas, and Maui. Some of my favorite outdoor activities are horseback riding, ATVing, zip lining or just relaxing on the beach.

8. What is an interesting/ unique fact about you people don't really know?
People may not know that I started my career in Elko, Nevada as a one man band reporter.
I carried about 60 pounds of gear through the desert, covering everything from wildfires, to the release of a bald eagle that was nursed back to health.

9. What was you're first job before becoming a Journalist in you're early years and what did you do?
While I was in college I was a student assistant for the Dean's office at Sacramento State.
After college, I immediately went to Elko, NV to start my first job as a journalist.

10. And lastly, what advice do you have for someone getting ready to graduate college or still in school wanting to be a TV reporter?
I would say you have to believe in yourself and be willing to work long, hard hours in a small market. If it's something you really want to pursue, go for it and don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. Internships are a great way to see if you really want to get into the business. Make sure to network with professionals and ask a lot of questions. Your reason for being a journalist has to go beyond just wanting to be on TV. I wish all of you future journalists the best of luck. :)

No comments: