Wednesday, June 11, 2008

June 2008 Interview with Kristina Werner

Kristina Werner is no stranger to northern California, she joined FOX40 News in December 1999 after working for NBC in Chico, California for a couple of years as a morning meteorologist. In fact she graduated from Sacramento State University in 1997 and is originally from Vacaville. Werner came to FOX40 as the weekend weather anchor and weekday reporter until 2006 when she became the full time meteorologist after Pam Hambright left to anchor for ABC in Reno, NV. Werner can be contacted at kristina.werner@tribune.com

Name: Kristina Werner
Hometown: Vacaville, Ca
Height: 5'6''
Birthday: August 30th

1. Tell us what interested you in getting into the meteorology side of broadcasting?
I had a great internship at Channel 31 when I was in college at Sac state. I worked with Lloyd Lindsay Young and his enthusiasm for weather just rubbed off on me. I became obsessed with weather and forecasting. I loved it so much I went back to school and never looked back.

2. Where was your first TV job and what did you do?
I worked at KNVN in Chico. I first did weekend weather/reporting then I moved on to the morning weather position.

3. What are your duties as a Meteorologist at FOX40?
I'm basically responsible for everything weather each weeknight

4. If you weren't working in the TV news business, what would you be doing today?
I'd be a very happy stay at home mom!!

5. What is an interesting unique fact about you?
I'm a huge sports fan! I grew up playing everything and wanted be a sportscaster originally.

6. What is the most embarrassing thing that has happen to you while on-air?
Oh there's been plenty of things, but I remember a bug flew into my mouth right before a live shot and I got caught spitting it out on the air. Not my prettiest moment!

7. What kind of music do you listen to? Favorite singer or band?
I love it all...hip hop, alternative, pop and country. My favorite band has to be Green Day though!

8. Where is your favorite restaurant to eat at and what do you normally order?
Mikuni and I always order the Michi roll.

9. What types of movies do you enjoy watching? Favorite actor or actress?
I love movies period and you can bet I'll always go see a Will Smith flick.

10. Finally, If you could give advice to a future meteorologist, what would you say? If you already know you want to be a meteorologist then you're one step ahead of where I started. Seriously, get your degree in meteorology and then look for an internship. When you get your first on-air job make sure you do some research and learn about the area you will be forecasting for. If you show up with knowledge of the market already you'll in good shape. Best of Luck!

No comments: