Monday, May 26, 2008

May 2008 Interview with Kurtis Ming

Emmy Award Winner Kurtis Ming has been with KOVR CBS 13 News since 2003. He started off as a general assignment reporter, then to the weekend anchor position, and now he is the Consumer Investigative reporter and has created a new segment titled "Call Kurtis" during the nightly weekday 10 p.m. newscast which helps people get their money back or solve their problems with large companies/ firms. He is the May 2008 interview of the month. Kurtis Ming can be contacted at KMing@kovr.com

Name: Kurtis Ming
Height: 6’4”
Hometown: South San Francisco
Birthday: June 18th
Date Hired: 2003

-First off, what interested you in becoming an anchor/ reporter?
Living through the Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989. --Realizing reporters had the most important job secondary to the disaster relief, I wanted to be able to research and deliver critical information to viewers when they need it most.

-What college did you go to and major in?
Emerson College in Boston. I majored in Journalism & Public Information.

-What do you normally like to do when not at work in general?
I enjoy spending time with friends, traveling, rafting and camping.

-If you could offer advice to anyone who is interested in becoming a reporter or anchor for TV news, what would you tell them?
It’s a tough business, that is becoming increasingly difficult to survive in. Jobs are being cut, individuals are being required to take on more roles in the news operation. Technology through the internet and DVRs, is making a live TV newscast less relevant. Audiences are shrinking as viewers gather information whenever they want on demand, and online. I would recommend majoring in some other field, with a minor journalism. It’s always good to have an expertise you can fall back on, if you find it tough to survive in TV news. You have to have a passion in finding the humanity in every story, and holding government accountable. Many who start-off in this business just have a desire to be on TV. They often drop out, quickly learning it’s a business that is far from glamorous. If you have the tenacity, drive and passion to dig for information, and tell stories… you will thrive.

-Where was your first TV job and what did you do?
My first TV job was KGO-TV in San Francisco, where I worked behind the scenes researching stories for their consumer advocacy program “Seven On Your Side”. My first on air job was KRCR-TV in Redding, CA where I was a reporter, anchor, weather anchor, producer, editor, writer, photographer and graphics designer. Those were the days.

-What kind of music do you enjoy listening to/ favorite band or artist?
I listen to a variety of music, ranging from Alternative to Top40, to classical. I have no favorites.

-What is your favorite dinner plate/ dessert?
I enjoy a good peppercorn steak, potatoes, mushrooms and gravy… maybe some baked asparagus. I’m also a big fan of gnocchi, and Thai food. As for dessert… put just almost anything in front of me, without coconut, and I’ll eat it.

-If you weren't in the TV news industry, what would you be doing today?
That’s a question I’ve asked myself several times. I’m not sure. I’d love to travel the world and do long form stories on fascinating subjects Americans have never heard about. If you still consider that TV news…. I’d consider teaching journalism or being a kayak guide in some beautiful place.

-What is an interesting/ unique fact about you?
I only attended college in Boston for 2 ½ years. I had such a fascination with this business, I convinced my professors to allow me to finish my degree while working as a reporter. I attended two junior colleges on my off days in Chico and Redding, working as a TV reporter at the age of 20.

-What is the most embarassing thing that has happened to you while live on-air?
Losing it in laughter in Redding, CA. My co-anchor and I found ourselves in a 2 minute long laughing fit as we were reading a couple crime stories on a shooting, stabbing and meth bust. It all started with a mysterious loud noise in the studio, which turned out to be the sound of her brand new designer pen dropping on the desk during the story I was reading. It sounded like a gun shot sound effect. The boss wasn’t too happy.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I loooved this interview! It was so good. Kurtis is the best news reporter ever. He is so nice and talented in his field of work. Keep up the great work Kurtis! You rock!

Anonymous said...

Kurtis Ming of CBS Channel 13 is a fraud! He doesn't report news, he creates it. His stories are sensationalized and full of lies. He was the typical GEEK in school and was probably picked on and tormented on a daily basis. Now he hides behind the label of "consumer reporter" so he can bully, harass, and stalk others with no penalty. That is his way of getting back at all those who picked on him for being a GEEK and being GAY. He was last known to be in a serious relationship with Anderson Cooper from CNN. Kurtis Ming is SCUM!!

Anonymous said...

Kurtis Ming works for CBS-Does not
surprise me,CBS is the scum of news media.and owns several radio
stations that broadcasts sex,and
pays millions of dollars to talk show hosts that spread garbage, like every guy should divorce
his wife,because all women are sluts and only use men for money.
Does not surprise me at all the Kurtis works for a media station like CBS. Ming is Garbage just like
the rest of them that supports Garbage.

Anonymous said...

I think Kurtis Ming thinks he's better than he really is.

Anonymous said...

Kurtis Ming SUCKS!

Anonymous said...

Come on, now, some of you need to get a life. There's a lot you could say about The Boy Wonder without making yourself look like homophobes or idiots. Don't blame him, blame that stupid KOVR. I think they used old "Current Affair" re-runs as a model for their absurd "news"casts. Cut out the cheesy alliteration, the ridiculous hand movements. and for godsake PLEASE lose Mike "Of the Steets" DelaStreeto. Oy vey.
As for Kurtis, long live the Ming dynasty!

university said...

We love your blog postings, so well add your rss or news feed for them, Thanks and please post us and leave a comment back and well link to you. Thanks Jen College Jobs.

Anonymous said...

i don't know, being gay AND a Geek? Sounds like a winning combination to me :) as i could describe myself as such on any good tuesday..., but i'm okay with it. I get the girls, i get the girls, i get the really, really hot girls... yeah, i'm a girl too... and a GEEK... and definately a GAY :)
Don't hate!
Go Ming!

Anonymous said...

he reminds me of peter griffin from family guy when peter works for the quahog news - "you know what grinds my gears!?"
LOL Kurtis ROCKS!!!

interracial slut stories said...

``Yeah, I guess they wouldnt do anything to jeapordize their ratings. COLLINS Excuse me.
male submisison stories nifty
bestiality pregnant stories
free adult spanking stories
dirty free sex stories
free adult erotic goup sex stories
``Yeah, I guess they wouldnt do anything to jeapordize their ratings. COLLINS Excuse me.

Anonymous said...

You have a real ability for writing unique content. I like how you think and the way you represent your views in this article. I agree with your way of thinking. Thank you for sharing. Wholesale Kurtis by F3fashion