Wednesday, February 11, 2009

February 2009 Interview Rowena Shaddox


Rowena Shaddox is a general assignment reporter for KTXL FOX40 News in Sacramento. She first worked as an assignment editor at FOX40, for 3-1/2 years, but started reporting on-air six months after she started on the assignment desk. Prior to that she worked for the Daily Republic Newspaper in Fairfield, where she covered the crime beat for 11 years. Shaddox can be seen live during the 10 p.m. newscast throughout the week. She can be contacted at rowena.shaddox@fox40.com

Name: Rowena Lugtu-Shaddox
Height: 4'11 AND 3/4 inches
Hometown: San Francisco
Birthday: November 9

1. What decided you to take a reporting position while working at the desk?
My news director at the time I started, knew my goal was to report on T.V. He felt it would be a good way to become familiar with all the T.V. jargon, along with getting to know how T.V. news worked, if I started on the assignment desk.

2. What is an interesting/ unique fact most viewers don't know about you?
I was a background dancer in an MTV video back in the day, for a new wave group call The Units. My coworkers get a kick out of watching it today on YouTube! I was also with a professional dance company in San Francisco at that time.

3. What was your most embarrassing moment live on air?
Thank God, so far, I really don't have any since I've only been going live since last July. But if I had to say something, it would be my toss a few weeks ago about Clint Eastwood's movie Gran Torino. The words spewed out of my mouth, and I had no idea what I was talking about. My producer said my facial expression was very funny, once my package ran and I was off air for the moment.

4. If you weren't in the Journalism field today, what would you be doing?
Probably just spending more time with my family, doing more domestic/mom things.

5. What's your favorite singer/band or type of music?

Madonna, Earth, Wind & Fire. But really anything you could dance to.

6. Where did you attend school and major in?
University of San Francisco - BA in Mass Media Communications

7. What types of food's do you enjoy?
Japanese, Italian, Mexican!

8. Most people don't know who Wyatt is... could you explian? (lol)
Wyatt is my adorable German shepard/basset hound mix. Patrick and I were on assignment near Modesto, to cover an animal rescue in Stanislaus County. I asked for the cutest doggy to do my standup with, and they handed me Wyatt. I adopted him three days later!! I love, love, love him!!

9. Do you have any advice for someone who wants to be a TV reporter while in school?
Take advantage of any internships that come your way. Although you may be extremely busy, take the time somehow to fit that into your schedule. You'll benefit from it. If there is a school newspaper, volunteer to do any writing assignments. Write as much as you can. Your reporting will be so much better if you have a solid writing background.

10. Lastly, what was your first job while in high school or college?
Working at the Serramonte Mall in Daly City, at Expressions. It was a really cool stationery shop where lots of my friends worked.

No comments: